Why Do I Need Fat In My Diet?
Some types of fat are a healthy and necessary part of the human diet. Fat is essential for the body and for healthy brain function. Fat provides energy and nutrients for cells, organs and things like your skin, hair and nails.
The key is getting the right types of fat in healthy amounts. Large amounts of animal fat, also known as saturated fat, can be unhealthy and lead to heart disease. Healthier unsaturated fats are ideal, and should make up 20 to 35 percent of your daily dietary intake.
What Are Healthy Fats?
Unsaturated fats, which include both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, are found in many healthy foods. What are some examples? Certain types of fish, nuts, seeds and produce contain these fats:
- Almonds are a great source of healthy fat and are also lower in calories than most other nuts. A 1 ounce serving of almonds contains about 9 grams monounsaturated fat and 3.5 grams of polyunsaturated fat. This makes almonds a quick and easy way to get healthy fat into your diet.
- Avocados are another healthy snack that can be added to recipes, salads, smoothies or all on their own.
- Salmon is a tasty and popular fish high in healthy fats. There are others, such as sardines and mackerel, but salmon is preferred by many. Look for wild caught salmon as opposed to farm-raised salmon.
- Olives and olive oil are also high up on the list of healthy alternatives. Many health-conscious people cook with olive oil as an alternative to saturated fat oil.
- Flax seeds are high in fat and can be added to salads, yogurt and smoothies, just to name a few. One tablespoon packs 3 grams of polyunsaturated and 1 gram monounsaturated fat.
- Eggs are another versatile favorite; moderation is the key though.
As you can see, fat is an important part of the diet. Weight loss does not mean cutting them out; it simply means making the right choices and eating a balanced diet. Exercise plays an important role in heart health and weight loss, too.
If you have considered a personal trainer to help you achieve your weight loss and fitness goals, contact Ralph Roberts at the Downtown Athletic Club in Amarillo to find out how he can help you.