1. It Can Combat the Problem of Age-Related Muscle Loss and Bone Loss: A woman’s muscles will deteriorate faster with age than a man's will, especially after menopause when her body is no longer producing estrogen. While both genders will see muscle loss with age, men usually have more to begin with, which means that the loss of some is not as problematic. Regaining that muscle is also harder for women than for men. Weight training can help you fight muscle loss and can prevent bone deterioration, as well.
2. Weightlifting Is More Effective for Fat Loss: Weightlifting is not only for those who want to bulk up. While the common perception is that weightlifting is only for gaining muscle mass, the reality is that it is one of the best ways to burn fat. In fact, when it is compared to cardio exercise, weightlifting comes out on top. Lifting weights actually helps you burn more calories than running on a treadmill, because it allows you to burn calories as you exercise as well as afterwards.
3. The More Muscle You Have, The More Calories You Burn: As you increase your lean muscle mass, your body will use its calories more effectively. Your muscle contractions are what determine how many calories you burn every day. Every muscle contraction burns calories. When you have more muscle, more muscles contract and thus more calories are burned.
4. Improved Sleep: Weightlifting can have a tremendous impact on the quality of your sleep, allowing you to fall asleep more quickly and to sleep more deeply.
5. Improved Heart Health: Lifting weights can lower your risk of heart disease and has been approved by the American Heart Association as a good form of exercise for those at risk of cardiovascular disease. It has been found that individuals who lift weights are less prone to heart disease risk factors such as excess belly fat and high triglycerides.
If you are a woman who would like to reap the benefits of lifting weights, get in touch with Ralph Roberts at the Downtown Athletic Club in Amarillo. He can formulate a weight training plan to help you lose weight and improve your health.