Why is breakfast the most important meal of the day?
- Breakfast is a good way to start the day. Whether you sit down to breakfast or take it with you on the run, you are fueling your body so that it can handle whatever comes your way.
- Breakfast makes you more efficient. If you have energy, you will be able to get things done faster and more accurately. It saves you time and you have more time to relax at the end of the day.
- Breakfast gives you more energy. When your body's fuel level is running low, you will feel it. With a healthy breakfast in place, you will experience a consistent energy all morning. That helps you concentrate and get your morning to-do list done.
- Breakfast prevents snacking later in the day. Your body needs a consistent amount of fuel to keep you going throughout the day. With breakfast done early, you can get through to lunch. When you eat lunch, you have a store of fuel for the afternoon. If you skipped breakfast, then ate lunch, you are running a deficit of fuel. You will have snack cravings in the afternoon to make up for the deficit, and you are likely to unhealthy snacks.
- Breakfast should be high in protein, which will give you long-lasting energy. It should be satisfying to help to steer clear of bad food. Carbohydrates are good for quick energy. Protein lasts longer, releasing energy at a slower rate. Getting a good mixture will help keep you healthy and your fuel levels steady.
Breakfast can come in many forms. Eating a healthy breakfast is the best choice. Picking up fast food on the way to work every morning isn’t going to cut it.
What are some good breakfast foods?
Here are a few healthy breakfast choices to make your morning take off properly:
- Apple, 1 or 2 ounces of cheese, and a handful of walnuts or almonds
- Steel cut oats, sweetened with milk and a bit of honey, topped with fruit and nuts
- 2 low-fat whole-grain waffles, topped with bananas and pecans
- Scrambled egg, whole wheat roll, fresh fruit salad, and cup of low-fat milk
- Peanut butter banana smoothie made with soy or almond milk and natural peanut butter
Eating a good, nutritional breakfast is essential if you want to lose weight, gain more energy, get fit and become healthier overall. It will give you the energy to get through your workout and it will help you keep away from the extra calories that tempt you throughout the day. If you want to lose weight and get in shape, contact me, Ralph Roberts at the Downtown Athletic Club. I am an Amarillo personal trainer that can help you get on track to meet your fitness and health goals.