But also know that you'll experience some peaks and valleys along the way. Here are some things you can expect as you tackle your weight-loss resolution.
1. Hitting a Plateau
Many people find it easy to drop pounds early in the process, then hit a plateau where the pounds don't come off so easily. Here are some ways to get past it:
- Up the intensity of your exercise. That means training harder, not necessarily longer.
- Visualize success. Imagine yourself wearing a fabulous dress you've always wanted while celebrating your weight loss. The mind is a powerful tool.
- Record every bit of food you eat. Keeping track of your intake in a disciplined manner can let you know where you might be tripping yourself up.
You'll find yourself craving favorite snacks as you remain on the journey. One way to deal with these cravings is to always have healthy snacks on hand — such as almonds, grapes, yogurt and chickpeas.
3. Hoarding Food Storage Containers
This is a good thing. Portion control can be an important part of your weight loss program, and stocking up on containers that ensure your next meal is the right size is crucial.
4. Different Social Activities
Instead of sticking with same old routine, i.e., dinner and drinks with friends, make your lifestyle more active by joining a dance class, or taking a long walk with a friend.
5. You May Suffer From Calorie Creep
Eating more than you burn can easily get you stuck in plateau. That's why portion size is so important. Cutting your daily intake by 100 or 200 calories can have a positive effect. Also, eating a high-fiber breakfast will help you reduce the quantity of food you'll eat at lunch.
6. Vegetables Are Your Friends
Vegetables are high in nutrients and low in calories. In other words, they're a perfect component of your weight-loss plan.
7. People Will Become Jealous
Seek out the people who will be in your corner, cheering you on, during this important journey. Inevitably, there will be others who aren't so supportive of the slimmer, healthier you.
8. You Will Love Yourself For It
The benefits of losing weight are almost too numerous to count — you'll lower your risk of disease, you'll sleep better, and you'll have more confidence, etc.
Working with a personal trainer like Ralph Roberts in Amarillo will help you take your health and fitness program to a new level. Ralph is offering a group training class beginning in January to help you kick off your New Year’s weightloss resolution.