Fitness bands act much like rubber bands. They offer resistance when you try to stretch them out. This resistance offers your muscles a workout when used during exercise.
What Kind of Exercises Can I Do With Exercise Bands?
You can easily do dozens of exercises with these resistance bands. Here are a few to get you started. Go for about 10 reps on each:
- Squat - You will need a long band for this. Stand on the band with your legs wider than your shoulders. Go into the squat position. Put each hand into the band and draw it up to shoulder height. Slowly stand up and go back down to the squat position.
- Clamshell - Lay on your back with your knees flexed at 90 degrees. Place an exercise band just above your knees. Spread your legs apart until you feel the resistance. Pull the knees apart while contracting your buttocks. Hold for 3 seconds and slowly release.
- Push-up - Lay on your stomach. Place the resistance band over your shoulders, grabbing either end in each hand. Get into the push-up position. Contracting the abs and glutes, push up against the resistance to a full arm push-up. Slowly go back to starting position.
- Double Bicep Curl - Stand on the band with your legs about shoulder width apart. Grab either end of the band with each hand. Stand up with your arms at the side. With palms facing forward, slowly curl the arm up from the elbow towards the shoulder. Slowly return to starting position.
- Rear Delt Fly - Sit on the edge of a bench or chair. Place the band under your feet and cross it over your knees. Grab either end with each hand. Bend at the waist and keep your back straight. Bring your arm straight out to your sides to shoulder level. Bring arms back to starting position.
Exercise bands are great for working out just about every part of your body. If you want to learn how to use them effectively, you can get help from a certified personal trainer. The trainer can help you learn to use the bands properly and teach you a variety of moves to help you get fit.
For help getting an exercise band routine going, get in touch with me, Ralph Roberts. I am a personal trainer at the Amarillo Downtown Athletic Club with several years of experience. Contact me today to schedule a personal training session.