5 core exercises on an exercise ball
- Sit-ups: Sit on the ball, cross your arms at your chest, lean back and walk forward to rest your lower back on the ball. Your body should be in a straight line from the knees to the top of your head. Put your chin down and lift your head and shoulders till you can see your knees. Aim to flex the space between the top of your hips and rib cage. Do the sit-ups at least 10 times or more depending on your level of fitness.
- Leg extension: Put your feet at hip distance and put them flat on the floor. Align your shoulders over your hips. Engage your abs, lift one foot and straighten your leg putting your calf parallel to your calf. Hold for 10 seconds using your leg to stabilize the ball. Put the foot down and and lift the other one. Do at least ten on each leg. This conditions the core muscles that support your spine.
- Ball lifts: Lie down flat with the ball between your feet. Clasp your hands at the back of your neck. Engage your abs, squeeze the ball between your feet, keep your legs straight and lift the ball till your legs are straight up. Lower the ball to an inch from the floor and lift again at least 10 times.
- Ball squats: Place the ball on a wall and hold it there with your lower back. Lean back and take a few steps forward but still holding the ball in place. Engage your abs and lower down to a squat. Hold for a few seconds, push back up and then down for at least 10 more squats.
- Back extensions: Put the ball under your hips and lower torso. Your knees can be straight or bent. Put your hands behind your back or head and roll down on the ball slowly. Lift up your chest slowly and bring your shoulders up till you are in a straight line while pulling up your abs.
Personal trainer Ralph Roberts can help you perfect exercise ball workouts. Once you get the hang of it, you can do the ball workouts at home as part of rotational training that exercises every part of your body. If you have questions about how to use an exercise ball or are interested in personal training sessions that employ an exercise ball, contact me today.